Supervisors: Be a resource to your officers by knowing how to access “open” 3-1-1 calls that have yet to receive a follow up.
1. Find out how to access 3-1-1 calls, (see supervisory note above) and determine which calls have not received a response.
2. Follow up on specific calls for service in your area of responsibility, preferably by visiting individuals in person if the issue is not sensitive, or by calling the individual.
3. Even if a complaint cannot be remedied, a follow-up visit to ask for more information or to express empathy can foster trust, confidence, and citizen satisfaction with police service.
4. Use the information provided by 3-1-1 calls to assist with other problem-solving activities you are conducting.
5. If possible, develop tangible approaches to dealing with a particular problem, and when tasks are completed, report back to the individual making the complaint about what was done.In an effort to provide helpful suggestions in areas that have not yet been fully studied or evaluated, we have included ideas for responses and activities that may not yet be considered evidence-based or evidence-informed. Therefore, not all actions and strategies included within this App are evidence-based or evidence-informed.